Friday, July 3, 2015

Flynn - adopted!

Flynn's new owners (July 2015)
Flynn has been outside since last fall.  It appears he was abandoned for some unknown reason.  He loves attention.  We estimate him at about 3-5 years old.    He is a sweet friendly cat who according to his caretakers desperately wanted to come in however the caretaker's cat would not put up with that AT all.  He finally was accepted into IOWHS foster care program for adoption after attempts to find owner proved futile.

Yesterday (July 2) was the most traumatic day of his life.  He was uprooted from where he was living by people he didn't know.  Taken to Animal Clinic of Eagle harbor where he was given 2 shots (rabies/FVCRP) and had a blood test (negative for FIV/FeLV - yippee)  then taken to a garage where he smells lots of different cats and is left.  30 minutes later I come home to a very angry and upset cat - very understandable.  He is taken into a house he doesn't know and sees a cat he doesn't know where there is mutual hissing through the carrier walls.  He is put in a bathroom - nice size very comfortable to settle down.  His reaction to my entering is anger stress upset.  He wouldn't let me use the toilet and tried to swat at me and I think - great what HAVE I gotten myself into - but the folks who had him said he was a very nice sweet cat.  So we shall see.  2:30 am July 3 he wakes me up vocalizing - and not very happy vocalizing.  I open the bathroom door get greeted with growling and close the door and try to get back to sleep.   I sprayed pheromenons on the chair in the bathroom.

 Later in the morning I walk in.  Greeted with silence.  He is hiding underneath the chair.  I start talking to him and he comes out and starts rubbing my legs as if nothing is wrong.  His tail tells me he is still stressed but he is definitely in the process of adjusting.  Sat in the chair and start petting him.  I wrote complimentary email stating how well he was doing, and then I guess i overdid the petting as he nipped me.  After being nipped - he didn't break the skin, the stern no was greeted with growling and sulking as he hid under the chair.  He intermittently had a low growl and some huffing.  I leave and then  come back later and he is much better.  Scratches non-existent claws ie he is front declawed.  He makes his home in the flower box window and starts grooming himself.

He responds when you talk to him by wanting to be petted.  He enjoys having his head scratched.  I debated giving him whole house privileges.  He won't be here too long this time before Petsmart.  He goes up there tomorrow (july 4). He acted interested and I opened the door.  He peered out and then greeted his opportunity by growling and small hiss.  Close the door, growling not rewarded.  May  try again later.  Pepper is outside enjoying the nice weather and the freedom from kittens trying to climb him and being hissed at.  

No comments:

Post a Comment