Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Queen str kittens



Sept 1.  They are outgrowing the cage.  Ready for adoption!!!
The brothers are letting their sister have the hammock.  Isn't that
sweet of them.  



Day 0 (July 24) scared to death
These 3 kittens were trapped with feral Mom in Hampton.  The Mom is TNRed and I have the fun of socializing these babies estimated at 7-8 weeks old but they are definitely older.  Based on their estimate of age at surgery they are aproximately 12 weeks at the time I got them.  They are on the skinny side.  The black one definitely.  The tabby is sort of tall and lanky with long legs (a boy).  Darius is a boy and Vashti is a girl


After a "naming competition" on Facebook and a trial run of soda names (Sprite, coke and Pepsi), I decided to go with royal names because they were trapped near Queen Street.  Nicholas Alexander and Cleopatra were 3 I considered but Cleopatra would have been the 2nd.  The I decided to try biblical.  Xerxes, Darius and Esther.  Esther has been used so I went with Vashti.  The first wife of the king who was "bad" and rejected and replaced with Esther.  Vashti though is one of the sweetest little black kitties and will be fun for whoever adopts her.

Day 0 - these are the 3 I have to work with
Xerxes, Darius and Vashti
Sept 2 - They are going to Petsmart NN whenever I can get them there - tonight or tomorrow on way to work.  Aren't they going to be in for a surprise and a change of scenery  Come see them there!


Sept 1 - The babies have grown and are ready for adoption!!!  The are outgrowing their cage.  They basically are confined only when I'm not there to supervise them.   I'm glad they get along so well.  The brothers have let their sister have the hammock.

August 31 - Xerxes put something in his mouth which got stuck.  He tried to get it out and kept pawing his mouth.  I tried to get it out but it wasn't coming out so we went to the Emergency Vet.  I guess maybe I loosed it and he got rid of it because it was gone when the vet looked into his mouth.


August 30 - all got their second and final FVCRP.  They were microchipped and got dewormed with Strongid - yummy... yuck.


Aug 26 - all doing well. Finally put profender on Darius. The other 2 had it on monday 2 weeks ago.

Aug 22 - photo session for pics to post on Cat Corner website and pet finder.  Lots of blurry ones so I sent one of pepper just for fun lol. "Vashti in a few years" lol. Darius is doing so much better.  He doesn't run away any more and I can pick him up and put him in his cage without any bolting or fear.  If I grab him too quickly he fights me but he comes right back.  A little petting and he is purring.  He finally turned the corner the day after his surgery on August 17.

Aug 17 - off we go to get spayed and neutered.  After surgery the recovery at this age is so fast.  The boys play really rough and for.that reason vashti is by herself.  Anseparate.cage in the living room which she turned into a total disaster the first night 2nd.night I left her with her brothers and tho her belly looked fine the 2nd night I didn't want to run the risk so.she is in the garage.  She's been entertained by younger kittens.  I let her out in garage after a couple of days with hunger game trio. Who were quick to try to make friends but vashti hissed to say stay away.  The 2nd day out of cage with them and she started to play with them. Katniss and vashti traded hisses and raised fur but they started chasing each other around.  Vashti may have been intimidated as she was.outnumbered 3 to 1.

Aug 12 am - Made some real progress with Darius.  He loves the shoe lace.  His favorite toy of the moment.  I use it to draw him near me and then go for petting him.    Petting from the front causes him to retreat but if I can start petting him he does respond favorably.  He did actually hang around and purred for the 2nd day in a row.  He's back to being by himself after being impossible yesterday morning.  Two steps forward one step back.

Aug 9 pm.  Letting all.stay together in the doubledecker cage.  Toll for coming out.  They need to let me love on them.  Xerxes and vashti very agreeable to the game.  Darius would stay and watch because if I attempted to pet him he'd go back upstairs so he stayed in and watched their antics.  Xerxes would get on top of the cage which is taller than I am and attempt to play with his brother thru the cage.  He can jump from the cat tree next to it.  Time.for bed all back in.  Xerxes falling asleep in the hammock letting me love on him.  Darius actually came over and I was able to pet him with no objection. There is hope for him yet. Lol.


Aug 9 - Xerxe, Darius and Vashti had their first  visit to Cat Corner for their first set of shots (FVCRP), deworm with ? (for Giardia and Coccidia) and Advantage.  They did really well.  Better than I expected.  Darius was done in the toploader except for Advantage when he was brought out.  Scared and frigid -better than scratching and biting.  3 weeks from now Aug 30 - they get their second round of shots and probably their microchip.  August 17 they can have surgery.  Vashti was 2# 15 oz and the 2 boys were 3# 8 oz  and approximately that for Darius as he was weighed in the carrier.  9# in the carrier and the tare weight was 5# 2 ox or so at Banfield.  Based on their weight alone and the fact that kittens gain approximately 1# a month that would mean they are definitely over 12 weeks and closer to 14 weeks which means I got them at 11 to 12 weeks old.  Explains why Darius is being more difficult.  the younger the better for socializing but once they are weaned at least for me as I can't do bottles.  Cat Corner is working on training someone else to help do shots - anyone else interested?  Contact Cat Corner.  I've given one FVCRP myself.  The more practice the better.   Maria does it in the shoulder.

Aug 8 - Xerxes and Vashti - I can handle easily but they are very independent.   Xerxes weighed in at over 3# and Vashti at 2# 15 oz if my baby scale is accurate.  It didn't match Cat corner last time I took kittens there so I don't know.  Darius will tolerate me petting him but moans as if I'm torturing him.  Still so afraid. They weigh in at at close to 3# now then they are at least 12 weeks old now.  I've had them 2 weeks and made some progress but not as much as I'd like.  Especially Darius.

Aug 3 - The kittens are named!!!  Xerxes, Darius and Vashti.  Xerxes is the grey tabby male,  Darius is the Black and white and Vashti is the black kittens.  Kings and queen of Persia in the old testament.

July 28 - oops - I left the door to the cage open and 3 kittens are running around my living room.  2 captured and returned.  The last isn't cooperating in getting back in.  He/she is having a blast.

July 26 - pm after being by himself most of the
day tabby is very open and receptive to human attention.  Black is a close second and the tux is still scared enough to back off and try to get away.  I decided to open cage up so the ladder is in place to go between upper and lower sections. Only 1 litterbox required.  I'll let the 2 siblings be ambassadors to the tuxedo.  

July 26 am tabby is now by himself.  He's a boy.  Half hearted hiss gets rewarded by petting.  He has started making bread.  The scrawny black one is with the tuxedo.  I'll put tux by himself for a little while later.  Once I get all to a certain point then they can all be together.

July 25 - scrawny black separated. to the point not hissing almost trying to play. then worked with the feisty tabby. Put that one in with the black. Then the scrawny black reverted back. But I have handled the tabby after not being intimidated by the hissing and got him? totally relaxed.

July 24 - Day 0 - never been touched and scared to death.

Xerxes - isn't he cute.  He's not completely relaxed
but he's getting there.  I was trying to take a nap LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment